Lizard Man's Travels

This site is a journal of my travels and other adventures while I shift from doing postdoctoral research on tree frog ecology in Darwin, Australia, to research on digestive physiology of lizards and bats in Sede Boqer, Israel. Enough friends have been asking me for regular updates on this journey, that I thought this would be the best forum to keeep everyone up to date (including me).

Friday, October 12, 2007

more good news

Hmm... Well, it's been quite a few weeks. Not only did Keith and I get both of our ARC grant proposals funded, but now, it looks like some of my research on chuckwallas (a Mojave desert lizard) has been highlighed in a recent Ecology textbook (M. C. Molles. Ecology: Concepts and Applications, 4th Edition, McGraw Hill). Very cool stuff. Looks like he actually compares my work to one of the classic and foundational experiments in plant ecology from the 1940s. That is, he compares my work favorably, not that he's saying my work is very old science.

Otherwise, things have been pretty hectic around here. I've been trying to wrap up the project on rock slime, but it is going very slowly. Partly, that's because a big chunk of that research is on fairly sophisticated plant physiology, which is a bit outside my realm of expertise. The guy who actually did most of that has moved down south, so he's a bit hard to get ahold of. The really tricky bit is that Keith, Karen and I are supposed to present this research in a public lecture at the NT Museum in a couple of days. Could be interesting. The last time I gave a lecture there, it was on frogs, and the house was packed. There's a lot of interest in frogs around here. I doubt there will be as much interest in the green slime that grows under rocks in the middle of nowhere. Oh well.

I'm also in the thick of applying for jobs. Craziness there too. So far, it looks like there is a western bias to the jobs available this year, with a disproportionate number in San Diego. Actually, looks like there open jobs in 5 different California cities, and about 5 more western universities. Not bad for a guy who'd like to end up in the western US. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home